A learner's thesaurus of over 15,000 words and expressions from written and spoken British and American English with CD-ROM. The learner's thesaurus helps students distinguish between similar words and use them correctly. The 2,000 entries:
- include between three and ten near synonyms, showing the differences between them in terms of meaning, grammar, register, collocations, and frequency;
- help students understand the differences between familiar words, such as easy and simple, while learning expressions they may not know, such as effortless, painless, and smooth sailing;
- provide over 4,000 notes to enable students to distinguish between very close synonyms, choose the best word for the context, and use it correctly; and
- include over 2,000 opposites.
The Oxford Learner's Thesaurus also includes:
- 16 study pages, focusing on specific topics with exam-style exercises;
- 8-page trainer on making the best use of the Thesaurus; and
- a CD-ROM of the complete Oxford Learner's Thesaurus A-Z pages and indexes, and over 200 practice exercises.